I moved an Expression Engine site to a new server which meant I needed to update the path to the themes. The site style may be messed up and links may not work until you do this. I don’t know why EE makes you have an absolute path but I needed to change it which meant I needed the admin username and password. The owner of the site didn’t have the admin info so we were stuck.
The password is in the database but is encrypted so I can’t just change it. Plus, it’s attached to an email. So my thought, just change the email and reset the password. It worked fine!
Here’s how to do it:
- Log into the database via PHPMyAdmin
- Select your Expression Engine database
- Browse the exp_members table
- Click Edit (pencil) for the user you are going to take over
- Update the email to whatever and hit Go at the bottom.
- Now go to the login for the site and do a password reset.
This should reset the password and email you a new one for the username you edited.